Starting a new nursery can be a big step for any parent and child so at Tuffkid we want to make sure that the settling in period is as easy as possible for everyone. The process is as follows:
- We make sure that our children feel safe and happy without their parents.
- We enable our children to acknowledge other adults as sources of authority, friendship and help.
- We help our children to get used to the Tuffkid environment and provide a smooth transition between home and nursery.
- We allow our children to form an attachment with their key worker as a first port of call.
To prepare your child for the best and happiest start at Tuffkid we:
- Have a curriculum evening for parents.
- Have an open morning for parents to visit the nursery with their child in the term before they are due to start at Tuffkid.
- Create a photo book for the nursery and send it to the children during the summer so they are familiar with the surroundings before they start at Tuffkid.
- We will visit you and your child at home with both the key worker and another member of staff to establish contact before they attend the nursery.
- Stagger the entry of children.
- Reassure parents whose children seem to be taking a long time settling into nursery (between 2 – 6 weeks).
- Make it clear to families from the outset that they will be supported in the nursery for as long as it takes their child to settle.
We encourage parents, where appropriate, to leave their child for brief periods at first, gradually building up to longer absences.