Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to reveal the answer:


What is a Special Educational need?

A Special Educational Need (SEN) is a term used if a child has a difficulty accessing the curriculum, which may mean that he/she may need to have some form of specialist provision made for them in order to learn.  It may be a general learning difficulty, an emotional, behavioural, sensory or physical disability or it may be a difficulty related to communication or speech and language.

Where can I get help in understanding how things are done as well as support and advice?

Kisharon is able to give impartial advice and guidance as well as support to all parents/carers of children who have special educational needs.  We are able to give advice and information over the phone, by email or in person.  We have information packs that we are able to send you about certain aspects of special educational needs.

I have recently found out that my child has difficulties in school with his learning. It would help if I could talk to other parents. How can I get in touch?

There are a number of support groups that we can put you in touch with according to your specific needs.  Please call and we will be able to give further information on the different groups available.

The SENCo of my daughter's school says she needs to be on 'School Action' what does that mean?

Your child should have had help through differentiation and perhaps has not made adequate progress, so the school would consider giving him/her extra help through School Action.  "At School Action, the child should be given support that is either extra to and/or different from that which the school gives through the usual differentiation" (C.O.P. 5:43 & 6:50)

My son/daughter has been excluded from school and it is without a good reason. Can I appeal?

Yes, you can and should appeal. You need to write a letter immediately to the Head Teacher explaining why you do not think the exclusion is just and that you feel your son/daughter's schooling will  suffer if he/she remains out of school and request withdrawal of the exclusion. Please contact us for a copy of the letter you will need to send as well as further information if the school refuses to withdraw the exclusion.

What benefits are available if I have a child with SEN?

If you care for a child with SEN you and your child may be entitled to some financial assistance and concessions to aid with the increase in living and traveling costs that are normally associated with the caring for a child with special needs. There are several benefits that may be available and these include: Disability Living Allowance Carers Allowance Working and Tax Credit Council Tax Discount Road Tax Exemption Some are means tested and others are based on the needs of your child.

Where can I get a grant to buy a specialist car chair?

Cerebra gives grants for items like:
Touch screen computers
Specialist car seats
Power wheelchair
Sensory toys
Tricycles and quadricycles
Digital drum kits
Contact Cerebra -0126 244 200

What is a Statutory Assessment?

This is a detailed assessment of a child's educational needs, based on specialist advice and is carried out by the Local Authority.

What is an Annual Review?

Your child's school will be notified by the Local Authority when your child's review should take place. Your school will set the date and organise the review.  The purpose of the review is to look at the progress made over the last 12 months in relation to the objectives on the statement. We are able to guide parents in writing their reports towards the annual review meeting and to attend the meeting if needed.

What are direct payments?

Direct payments are payments made from the Local Authority to buy the services you need instead of receiving community care services.  You can employ your own personal assistants to provide the care you need. You may use the money to buy services from a care agency rather than be an employer yourself. You will have to file quarterly returns to the local authority as well as take on the tax and national insurance responsibility of all the carers who are in your employ. You must be consulted and agree before you receive direct payment.

For more information, please contact the Advice and Support Service Helpline on 0844 496 4636 or email